Sunday 9 October 2011

Hello, how am I today?

I'm unable to describe my own symptoms, thoughts and feelings. Only when I read about them am I able to say "yes, this is it. This is exactly how I think/feel/act". This makes getting treatment that much more difficult. Do you know how hard it is to get proper help when you can't describe any symptoms? My doctors want me to detail and be specific, but I'm unable to give them the information they want. I end up being extremely frustrated with no resolution because they can't possibly know what I need. They seem equally as frustrated with me. They probably wonder why a person cannot answer a simple question about themselves.
I understand that "I don't feel right" or "I feel crazy" are not suitable answers, but it's what I know. The best I can do for my future visits is to write down symptoms I research online that apply to me, however if asked to detail any further, I'm screwed. I'm beginning to think that regardless of how much knowledge and experience a person has, if they're not mentally ill, there's no way they can possibly understand it.

No comments:

Post a Comment